About Norrsjön

Sörsjöns History


The History of Sörsjön In 1796, Garp Jannis Ersson married Maria Ersdotter, both from Transtrand. Their honeymoon, as they did the same year, went to Östdalen (the valley where Sörsjön lies is so called). They settled on Fuluälven's western shore, where Fuluälven has an extension that was named Sörsjön. There they built a small low cabin with a room, a small window that sat high on the wall, low door with high threshold, split and uncovered trees to the floor and ceiling, above on the roof fists and peat. This type of building was called a backpack cottage. Other simple buildings were also erected. Next year they got their first child, Marina, a very common name at that time. She was born on April 12, 1797.They got their food by clearing and cultivating the land and through their livestock. Hunting and fishing were also part of the food. Flint lock rifles, snares, gill stocks and catch pits were used for hunting. For fishing, nets and hooks were used. The years went by and growing fields were cultivated, larger and better houses were erected and the livestock herds were expanded. On October 7, 1805, Jannis and his then 8-year-old daughter were north along the river to fetch hay. When they returned to Särkån's outlet on their return journey, they were hit by a whirlwind. In combination with the strong backwater, the boat was evicted and the father and daughter drowned. The man's body was not found until our next spring. That same autumn two youngsters were here; one from Vörderås and one from Höknäs. They were up here to hunt forest birds. They sometimes lived with the widow of her little cottage. The man from Höknäs was named Hans Ersson and was born April 21, 1779. In the late autumn of 1806 he became Maria's other husband. They got two girls and one boy. Together they built new and larger houses, cleared and purchased meadows. The place eventually became one of the most visited farms in Sörsjön. Hans also built a farm, probably with the help of his son Erik. They built a farm, which is still today called "Nolabättsin" (meaning the north-about-brook). To this farm, the youngest daughter Elin moved, since she was married in 1840 to Garpa Erik Persson from Berga. Then Sörsjön continued to grow. The village had just over 500 inhabitants in the 1920-1930s. Then, a relocation took place; some for the US, but most moved into the cities. Now we are about 120 (November 2006) and hope that the village will start to grow again. About Norrsjön The big house on the farm Norrsjön was ready already in 1830. Lantmäteriet On the Lantmäteriet's website you can easily find maps of the Sörsjön and its surroundings!